Transfer folders out, zipped but when unzipped no usable files visible

By Neil S 2 years ago
Solved

Running latest Aloha on iPad. Enabled Wi-Fi transfer, connected via browser on Mac, ticked several folders to download out of Aloha…. Hit download. The process run for a while, but when I tried to unzip on the Mac, whilst that was successful, there was no visible content. Displaying properties of the unzipped directory, it cites only one file, but with a size that I’d have expected for all. What’s happening?

Replies (5)

photo

Good day,

Thanks for posting!

What browser did you use on Mac and what macOS version do you currently have?

photo

Monterey 12.0.1

This has happened a couple of times in the last few weeks. The recent occasion was on Safari on the Mac. Not sure, but the time before *may* have been on Chrome.

I see my issue is now tagged "Known". Is it a known bug?

photo

I've done some experimenting. Definitely getting the same happening on both Safari & Chrome, on the Mac. But I had wondered if the files were being expanded but invisibly. It turns out they are. For some reason the download feature in Aloha seems to now (wasn't before) be defining them as System files, and each is getting a "." (dot or period) at the start of the file-name, which tells Mac OS to hide them. I can use a keyboard command to unhide, but it's been a massive task to rename them. And it'll dissuade me from downloading more files until this is resolved. Would appreciate if you are able to advise what's happening, and how to resolve myself, or if there's a bug you can fix?

photo

Good day,

Thanks for additional information! We have traced this behaviour, and most probably will be able to add fixes in the next couple of updates, so please stay tuned!

Regards,

Aloha Team

photo

Was this fixed in the recent 3.4.2? If not, do you know yet which release and when?

photo

Any update on when this bug will be resolved, please?

photo

Hi, Yes its been fixed.

Please enable/disable Files access toggle, then open WiFi Files Sharing and try to download files in the same way.

photo

I've just tried on my iPad, having ensured the app was first updated to 3.4.3 (latest version I can see), then force closed and restarted, and I sadly have to report it has NOT been fixed. The resultant zip file from a download is visible on my Mac in Finder, as is the name of the Folder which it unzips too, but ALL files in that unzipped folder are hidden still, as they all wrongly start with a "." in the filename. This still means that using this facility to backup is not acceptable/practical. I don't understand how/why this bug was introduced in recent months, and how it was envisaged to be resolved when it clearly isn't. Did your Devt team not test themselves on a Mac? Please can I ask they investigate again, and resolve.

photo

In fact a little further testing shows the issue is maybe finer than I originally said, or you have fixed one part of it but not another....

Essentially, under "Files" in Aloha I have added sundry folders. Let's call them Alpha, Bravo and Charlie. In each are multiple pictures...

In 3.4.3, if on my Mac I choose to download the entire folder "Alpha" to my Mac hard drive, a zip file is created, and when later unzipped shows me the Folder name, but the contents of the folder (all the pictures within) are hidden, because all filenames are strangely getting prefixed with a "." (period).

If on the other hand, I choose to go down a level further when viewing the files on Aloha on the Mac, i.e. go into "Alpha" folder and only select certain pictures, then when a zip file is created of those, and unzipped, the individual photos ARE visible, and are not prefixed with a "period".

In essence, for some reason when whole folders are being downloaded using the web utility on the Mac, then your software is choosing to change each individual picture file name, and hide them.

It never used to do that, and I've done this many many times until recently.

I hope that helps.

photo

You are right! Thats another bug. Thanks for all the detail - we have managed to trace it and will do our best to push to the next available release.

photo

Any outlook on a date for the fix of this?

photo

Possibly the next available version.

photo
photo

Thanks.

photo

Looks to be fixed in latest release. Thanks.

photo

You are most welcome! Take care,

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file